August 13, 2023, 12:25 PM

Top News

Mark Gurman / Bloomberg:
Sources: Apple is planning a major “Watch X” redesign for the 10th anniversary; a look at the M3 roadmap, including a top M3 Ultra with 32 CPU and 80 GPU cores  —  Apple's next line of smartwatches is expected to be a minor upgrade.  Behind the scenes, though …
Financial Times:
Analysis: a basket of the top US streaming services will cost $87 per month this fall, vs. $73 a year ago; the average US cable TV package costs $83 per month  —  Top studios turn screws on customers with price rises that rival expensive cable TV bundles  —  The era of cheap streaming is ending …
Steven Lee Myers / New York Times:
How Sweden's Psychological Defense Agency, a part of the Ministry of Defense, is combating online disinformation from foreign adversaries, especially Russia  —  The country has empowered a government agency to openly combat online disinformation coming from foreign adversaries, and especially the Kremlin.
Sources: SoftBank is in talks to acquire Vision Fund 1's 25% stake in Arm, ahead of the chip designer's Nasdaq IPO in September; SoftBank owns the remaining 75%  —  SoftBank Group Corp (9984.T) is in talks to acquire the 25% stake in Arm Ltd it does not directly own from Vision Fund 1 (VF1) …
More: Bloomberg
Blake Brittain / Reuters:
UMG, Sony Music, and other labels sue the Internet Archive for copyright infringement, saying its Great 78 Project works as an “illegal record store” for songs  —  Universal Music Group (UMG.AS), Sony Music Entertainment (6758.T) and other record labels on Friday sued …
Chance Miller / 9to5Mac:
Some iPhone 14 Pro users complain that the “Maximum Capacity” rating of their phone's battery has already dropped to around 90% after less than a year  —  iPhone 14 Pro users are growing increasingly concerned about the state of their iPhone's battery health.
Duncan Riley / SiliconANGLE:
ShapesXR, which offers an XR app creation and collaboration platform to clients like Meta, Qualcomm, and ByteDance, raised an $8.6M seed led by Supernode Global  —  Spatial apps creation and collaboration platform startup ShapesXR today announced that it has raised $8.6 million in new funding …
Liz Lindqwister / The San Francisco Standard:
Some Cruise riders say they've had sex in the driverless cars in San Francisco over recent months; Waymo and Cruise permit users to eat, but not drink alcohol  —  An Illustration generated by the artificial intelligence program Midjourney depicts two people making out in an autonomous vehicle.
Iain Thomson / The Register:
Hacker group Cult of the Dead Cow details Veilid, an open-source, P2P application framework, and debuts VeilidChat, a proof-of-concept Signal-like messaging app  —  'It's like Tor and IPFS had sex and produced this thing'  —  DEF CON Infosec super-band the Cult of the Dead Cow has released Veilid …

Sponsor Posts
Browse salary data from 3,000 startups for free  —  Click for FREE, immediate access to real-time compensation benchmarking data.  Paid version helps HR automate comp reviews and communicate total compensation to employees.
LLMs can label data as well as humans, but 100x faster  —  Looking to clean, label or enrich your data, but taking too much time?  Just describe your problem to our LLMs and let them do the work for you in minutes.
Web3 Security: Safeguarding Digital Assets in a Decentralized World  —  Discover crucial Web3 security practices in the ever-evolving landscape of decentralization and digital assets.
Techmeme Ride Home:
Tue. 12/05 - 23andMe Hack Just Keeps Getting Worse
The day's tech news, every day at 5pm ET. Fifteen minutes and you're up to date.
Subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or RSS.

About This Page

This is a Techmeme archive page. It shows how the site appeared at 12:25 PM ET, August 13, 2023.

The most current version of the site as always is available at our home page. To view an earlier snapshot click here and then modify the date indicated.

More News

Oliver Barnes / Financial Times:
Sebastian Herrera / Wall Street Journal:
Nitasha Tiku / Washington Post:

Earlier Picks

Fortesa Latifi / Teen Vogue:
Vishal Chawla / The Block:
Jesse Levine / Bloomberg:
More: Insider, Reuters, Business Today,, The Hill, BBC, The Messenger, Culture News, The Independent, News18,, Hindustan Times, Daily Mail, Deutsche Welle, Sky News, Futurism, London Evening Standard,, The Wrap,, talkSPORT, The Comeback, Just Jared, The Daily Beast,, MMA Fighting, MMA Fighting, Daily Mail, Army Times, Benzinga, Sportico, Forbes, Toronto Star, New York Post, The Hollywood Reporter, Dexerto, TechCrunch, The Verge, MobileSyrup, iPhone in Canada Blog, Decrypt, The Guardian, Variety, Baseline, TechCrunch, Gizchina, and Gizmodo
Lawrence Abrams / BleepingComputer:
Luc Cohen / Reuters: