Techmeme
August 5, 2022, 5:15 PM

Top News

Brian Heater / TechCrunch:
Amazon plans to acquire Roomba maker iRobot in a $1.7B all-cash deal; Colin Angle will remain as iRobot's CEO  —  Amazon this morning announced plans to acquire Roomba maker iRobot for an all-cash deal valued at $1.7 billion.  —  “Since we started iRobot, our team has been on a mission …
Nikkei Asia:
Nikkei Asia:
The Verge:
After criticism, DuckDuckGo says its browser will now block Microsoft tracking scripts on third-party websites, formerly exempt due to a search syndication deal  —  After an uproar over an exception, DuckDuckGo is promising transparency.  —  After a revelation in May that DuckDuckGo's …
Lawrence Abrams / BleepingComputer:
Twitter confirms that a now-patched bug was used to link phone numbers and emails to user accounts; a threat actor offered to sell 5.4M records in December 2021  —  Twitter has confirmed a recent data breach was caused by a now-patched zero-day vulnerability used to link email addresses …
James Vincent / The Verge:
Meta's AI research lab releases its BlenderBot 3 chatbot, which searches the internet to answer questions, available to US users on the web, to collect feedback  —  What could possibly go wrong?  —  Meta's AI research labs have created a new state-of-the-art chatbot and are letting members …
Omer Benjakob / Haaretz:
A prototype of NSO's Pegasus for Israeli police in 2014 reveals the UI and features, including real-time wiretapping, reading texts, and remote camera control  —  Israel Police planned to present cabinet with the system eight years ago.  It was intended to be capable of turning the infected phone …
Nicola Kelly / The Guardian:
The UK government plans to require migrants convicted of a crime to scan their faces up to five times per day using smartwatches; locations will be tracked 24/7  —  Home Office and MoJ plans will require migrants convicted of crimes to take photos up to five times a day
Nupur Anand / Reuters:
India's Enforcement Directorate freezes the assets, worth ~$8.16M, of Binance-owned crypto exchange WazirX, citing suspected foreign exchange rule violations  —  India's financial crime-fighting agency said on Friday that it has frozen the assets of WazirX, owned by the world's largest digital …
Elena Schneider / Politico:
A look at FTX CEO Sam Bankman-Fried's increasing US political contributions, including $10M+ to back Biden in 2020, and uncertainty about his goals and leanings  —  NASSAU, Bahamas — One of the biggest donors in Democratic politics this year isn't sure if he really wants to be a Democratic megadonor …
Barry Schwartz / Search Engine Land:
CoinDesk:
How crypto developer Ian Macalinao posed as 11 independent developers and faked a web of DeFi protocols to temporarily inflate the total value locked on Solana  —  The Macalinao brothers used a web of bogus identities to create the illusion of a dev community, juicing value on the Saber protocol and Solana blockchain.
Joanna Ossinger / Bloomberg:
Crypto bridge Nomad says anyone returning at least 90% of stolen tokens will be viewed as a white-hat hacker and the remaining 10% would become the reward  —  Cryptocurrency company Nomad is offering a bounty to recoup funds spirited away in a $190 million hack that again highlighted security vulnerabilities …

Sponsor Posts

SignalFire:
We need startups to fight prompt injection, the top LLM security risk  —  Check out our AI security market map, and reach out if you're building a way to defend chatbots from this new hacking technique.
Tribe AI:
Is AI just hype?  —  Find out how top enterprises use Tribe to get real business results.
Techmeme Leaderboards:
Discover the top reporters on AI, VR, policy, and much more  —  We've analyzed Techmeme's news crawl to identify the most influential and prolific writers on 48 news topics.  Download reports immediately for just $100.
Zoho:
Craft the perfect job description with Smart Assist  —  A job description (JD) is often your first line of communication with candidates.  This is your opportunity to share what you expect out of the role and what life is like at your company.
Techmeme Ride Home:
Mon. 02/26 - Mobile World Congress Is All About AI This Year (Corrected)
The day's tech news, every day at 5pm ET. Fifteen minutes and you're up to date.
Subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or RSS.
 

About This Page

This is a Techmeme archive page. It shows how the site appeared at 5:15 PM ET, August 5, 2022.

The most current version of the site as always is available at our home page. To view an earlier snapshot click here and then modify the date indicated.

More News

Andrew Romero / 9to5Google:

Earlier Picks

Soma Biswas / Wall Street Journal:
Michelle Price / Reuters:
Michael del Castillo / Forbes:
Nelson Wang / CoinDesk:
Dan Primack / Axios:
Oliver Knight / CoinDesk:
Bloomberg: