Techmeme
August 5, 2022, 5:20 AM

Top News

Dan Primack / Axios:
Filing: Twitter says Elon Musk's counterclaims “are factually inaccurate, legally insufficient, and commercially irrelevant” and don't justify ending the deal  —  We still don't have Elon Musk's response to Twitter's lawsuit over his efforts to back out of his $44 billion acquisition …
Wall Street Journal:
Soma Biswas / Wall Street Journal:
A New York judge allows Voyager Digital to return $270M in customer cash deposits, settling one of the company's larger issues after filing for bankruptcy  —  Crypto broker got bankruptcy court approval to return cash deposits  —  Cryptocurrency brokerage firm Voyager Digital Holdings Inc. secured approval …
CoinDesk:
How crypto developer Ian Macalinao posed as 11 independent devs and created a web of DeFi protocols that temporarily inflated the total value locked on Solana  —  The Macalinao brothers used a web of bogus identities to create the illusion of a dev community, juicing value on the Saber protocol and Solana blockchain.
Nelson Wang / CoinDesk:
Block reports Q2 revenue down 6.6% YoY to $4.4B, $2.62B net revenue excluding bitcoin, and Cash App bitcoin revenue down 34% YoY to $1.79B; stock is down 5%+  —  Despite beating projections, the payments company said its overall revenue fell because of a decrease in bitcoin revenue.
Michelle Price / Reuters:
Visa and Mastercard end ties with the ad arm of Pornhub owner MindGeek, after a court ruled Visa must face a lawsuit alleging it is liable for CSAM distribution  —  Visa (V.N) and Mastercard (MA.N) on Thursday said they had suspended ties with the advertisement arm of MindGeek …
Barry Schwartz / Search Engine Land:
Google updates search results for queries with quotes to show where the phrase appears in the results snippet instead of an overall description of the page  —  Now Google will now show the quoted text in the snippet where that exact phrase appears on the page.
Reuters:
As Nancy Pelosi visited Taiwan, cyberattacks from China and Russia increased on the island; some 7-11 store TVs displayed “Warmonger Pelosi, get out of Taiwan!”  —  As U.S. House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi made a brief visit to Taiwan this week that enraged Beijing …
Aisha Malik / TechCrunch:
Clubhouse starts beta testing private communities called Houses, which can be created by a person or group looking for a more intimate alternative to Clubs  —  Clubhouse, the social audio app that rose in popularity amid the pandemic, is looking to shake up its platform with the launch of private communities called “Houses.”
Tom Warren / The Verge:
Joanna Ossinger / Bloomberg:
Crypto bridge Nomad says anyone returning at least 90% of stolen tokens will be viewed as a white-hat hacker and the remaining 10% will become the reward  —  Cryptocurrency company Nomad is offering a bounty to recoup funds spirited away in a $190 million hack that again highlighted security vulnerabilities in the digital-token sector.
Andrew Hayward / Decrypt:
Oliver Knight / CoinDesk:
Meta begins rolling out NFT support on Instagram in 100 countries after launching Coinbase Wallet and Dapper integrations and support for the Flow blockchain  —  Following a series of testing phases, NFT integration is now live on Instagram across 100 countries.

Sponsor Posts

Intel:
Managing a Complex Multi-Cloud Environment Requires a Reliable Ecosystem  —  To avoid vendor lock-in and effectively manage your mission critical workload needs, you need a reliable ecosystem and architecture
Zoho:
Transforming customer relations management with digital signatures and Zoho Sign  —  Today, nearly every company uses customer relationship management (CRM) software for their sales and marketing operations.
MicroAcquire:
New opportunities are waiting for you  —  Join 100,000+ entrepreneurs buying and selling startups on the world's #1 acquisition marketplace.  Expertly curated to match serious buyers with pre-vetted startups of all sizes.
Techmeme Leaderboards:
Find the top reporters on AI, NFTs, VR, AR, VC and much more  —  We've analyzed Techmeme's news crawl data to identify the most influential writers on 46 topics.  Download reports immediately for just $100.  No sub needed!
Techmeme Ride Home:
Wed. 10/05 - Elon Wants Twitter Now. We Think. Who KNOWS ANYMORE!!??
The day's tech news, every day at 5pm ET. Fifteen minutes and you're up to date.
Subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or RSS.
 

About This Page

This is a Techmeme archive page. It shows how the site appeared at 5:20 AM ET, August 5, 2022.

The most current version of the site as always is available at our home page. To view an earlier snapshot click here and then modify the date indicated.

More News

Reuters:

Earlier Picks

Bloomberg:
Phuong Nguyen / Reuters:
Bloomberg:
Chainalysis: