Techmeme
June 4, 2019, 11:45 PM

Top News

Nick Statt / The Verge:
Apple's Dashboard has reportedly been removed from macOS Catalina; the feature has been disabled by default since OS X 10.10 Yosemite  —  Goodbye widgets, you were always sort of useful  —  Apple's Dashboard is getting quietly removed from the company's upcoming macOS Catalina update …
Samuel Axon / Ars Technica:
Apple says users of iTunes on Windows will not see any immediate changes, despite the app being shuttered on Mac  —  Plus, 4K, HDR, and Dolby Atmos over HDMI.  —  SAN JOSE, Calif.—After much speculation and fanfare in the press, Apple confirmed today that it will sunset iTunes in the next version …
Kevin Roose / New York Times:
Tom Warren / The Verge:
Nikhilesh De / CoinDesk:
SEC is suing Kik for allegedly running an unregistered securities sale when it launched an ICO for its Kin token in 2017  —  The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) is suing Kik for allegedly running an unregistered securities sale when it launched an initial coin offering (ICO) for its kin token in 2017.
Nick Statt / The Verge:
YouTube investigation finds that the flagged Steven Crowder videos, which include homophobic slurs aimed at Vox's Carlos Maza, do not violate its policies  —  The company sides with edgy commentator Steven Crowder  —  YouTube has at last formally responded to an explosive …
Ben Thompson / Stratechery:
Apple shows it's finally ready to move past the iPhone after unveiling iPadOS, the watchOS App Store, new privacy features, and the end of iTunes at WWDC  —  It is the nature of hardware that a computer the vast majority of Apple's customers will never own was the headline from the company's keynote …
Catalin Cimpanu / ZDNet:
Dami Lee / The Verge:
Emil Protalinski / VentureBeat:
Firefox starts blocking third-party cookies by default and brings its Lockbox password manager to the desktop, rebranding it as Lockwise  —  Mozilla today announced a slew of privacy improvements.  The company has turned on Enhanced Tracking Protection, which blocks cookies from third-party trackers in Firefox, by default.
Josh Hendrickson / How-To Geek:
iOS 13 has an option to optimize long-term battery life by “reducing the time it's fully charged”, charging to 80% until it thinks the remaining 20% is needed  —  Lithium-ion batteries, like those in iPhones, have a longer usable life if you don't charge above 80%.
Jack Nicas / New York Times:
Todd Spangler / Variety:
YouTube bans kids from live-streaming video unless accompanied by an adult following NYT report about YouTube's recommendation algorithm for posted videos  —  NY Digital Editor @https://twitter.com/xpangler FOLLOW  —  YouTube is taking additional steps to restrict the possibility that children …
Max Read / New York Magazine:
The Daily Beast confirmed the identity of the uploader of the distorted Pelosi video via a source at Facebook, who apparently accessed private user activity  —  What mastermind created the infamous, slowed-down video of Nancy Pelosi — the one intended to make her sound drunk that went viral across right-wing media two weeks ago?
Tom Warren / The Verge:
Apple reveals iPadOS with new home screen widgets, an improved Files app with a column view and USB support, multiple windows for the same app, and new gestures  —  Another step toward laptop-like tasks  —  “We have some big changes coming to iPad,” says Craig Federighi, Apple's software chief.
Tom Warren / The Verge:

Sponsor Posts

Google Meet:
Try Google Meet Video Meetings  —  Google's premium video meetings are now free for everyone.  Find it at meet.google.com.
Zoho:
Customer spotlight - Certas Energy Retail achieves 98% leak reduction accuracy using Zoho Analytics  —  A subsidiary of DCC plc, an FTSE (Financial Times Stock Exchange) 100 company, Certas Energy Retail manages …
The New Consumer:
DTC and the future of CPG  —  A new publication about how and why people spend their time and money from tech journalist Dan Frommer.
Oura:
Ten Tips to get Better, Deeper Sleep  —  Want to feel more rested in the morning?  Try these strategies and see what works for you.

Listen to Techmeme's Podcast:

Techmeme Ride Home: (Bonus) Bryan Salesky, CEO of Argo Subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Google Play, or RSS.
 

About This Page

This is a Techmeme archive page. It shows how the site appeared at 11:45 PM ET, June 4, 2019.

The most current version of the site as always is available at our home page. To view an earlier snapshot click here and then modify the date indicated.

More News

ABC:

Earlier Picks

Ashley Gold / The Information:
Eustance Huang / CNBC: